Monday, March 21, 2005

For the Waitresses

I'm convinced that having been a waitress for many years has helped build my character. At least that's what I tell myself. For years I was a full-time waitress, and for the last three (as long as I have been working at the paper) I have been part-time. Being a waitress has definitely helped define the kind of person I am, and I'm sure it's at least partly due to the profession that I have a hell of a lot of patience. The other day I read an article from The New York Times that my grandmother had clipped and sent to me about being a server, and about how servers can often be writers, or bloggers, or website-posters, so beware of how you treat your server because who knows if they're logging in late at night (maybe after you've stiffed them on a tip) and bitching about you online. I checked out a couple of the websites they reference, and I have been getting the biggest kick out of them. To read these server (and chef) rants, go to bitterwaitress.com or stainedapron.com.

No comments: