Friday, August 12, 2005

The German

I met a boy in Rome. Of course in Rome. But he's not from Rome, he's from Germany. Of course. He's very sweet and very handsome and he lives a hundred million miles away. And because we only spent two evenings together, and because he's such a mystery, I am very attracted to the idea of getting to know him better and (possibly?) visiting him. Or him visiting me. We've been emailing long letters and photos, but I have to wonder if any of it will amount to anything. Yes, it's nice to have him as a contact . . . a friend, even, but where will it go, if anywhere? And it's not like I am trying to take the spontaneity or impetuousness out of anything, I'm just wondering if it's worth all the thought I've already given it, which, for the record, has been too much. I guess we'll see. . .

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm half german and like german beer!

- Jake

Anonymous said...

Yes, you've invested way too much time...more than the investment will ever return. Quit your Poly Anna musings and don't waste your time thinking about some Kraut who only wants an American wife so he can get into the US and then dump you.

Kate said...

Wow, Steve, so cynical! I'm sorry you're double my age and married, and therefore have lost your sense of romantic wonder. :-)