Monday, August 27, 2007

Morning Commute

I have been commuting into midtown from my grandmother's house in Morristown, NJ, for a week now, and will be doing so until Wednesday. We move into our new place on Thursday. The commute involves a 15 minute drive into town to grab the train, and then about an hour on the train until we get to Penn. Not horrible, but definitely not ideal. My express ride on the Q to midtown from Brooklyn will be most welcome. Getting up at 5:30 AM is not agreeing with me very well. In my sleepy daze, I seem to misinterpret things here and there.

Take this morning, for example. . . . If you've ridden on NJ Transit, you know the trains--2 seats on one side, 3 on the other. This morning I had the misfortune of getting the middle seat between two rather hefty guys on the 3-seat side. The guy to my right, who had the window seat, was dozing, his headphones connecting his head to his Walkman. (Yes, you read that right, he had a Walkman, which he had resting on his shoulder between the window and his head.) Anyway, he woke up and said to me suddenly, "Susan? Get out!" I looked at him in utter confusion (and to be honest, a little bit of terror) and mumbled, "Excuse me?" He patiently repeated himself: "Excuse me, I'm getting out." OHHHHH, I thought. That makes much more sense.

No comments: