Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Borrowed Post

My sweet, sweet friend Jan wrote the following post on his blog last night, and it's such a beautiful little piece of writing that I could not resist but to post it here as well (with his permission, of course--thanks, Jan!). Enjoy.

"It's funny how something so mundane can become so much more. For example, when I was with my last girlfriend we went to the grocery store. A simple mundane event. But when we went, we spent a lot of time there, we joked, argued about what to buy. These little things take on meanings, sort of rituals.

But all these rituals, whether you realize or perceive their roles within yourself, make up bits of you. Parts of your intimacy. They are your world. They are the places you frequent and slowly you share it with someone. Let them into the places you go and do the things that you do.

And when that intimacy isn't there anymore, then those trips, those small baubles turn back into the ordinary. Or even worse, they become a spot of pain, a reminder of rejection or a shot of indifference where there was once more.

Because you can't go home again. Things change, people change, evolve, regress, adapt or fall behind. Everyone takes bits and pieces of us, changes us around, turns us on our heads, makes us feel happy, sick and desperate. Even if you can't see it, or don't notice it, it's there. The minute I met the world, it altered me.

All that you can do is accept change. But sometimes you have the wind knocked out of you and you have to gasp for a little while. Find your bearings, straighten up and cop to your emotions. And sometimes people can ease your transistions through love and life, like a crutch.

Sometimes I feel really winded and other times I think that I'm really good at rolling with the constant flood of it all.

The truth is I'm probably somewhere in between."

--Jan Thomas

No comments: