Monday, February 21, 2005

I Want Jennifer Gonnerman's Career

Listening to a debut EP from a local guy and sipping my coffee, resenting that I have to work at the restaurant tonight. The DC conference was really inspiring. I am halfway through a book whose author conducted a seminar about "Giving a Voice to the Voiceless." Her name is Jennifer Gonnerman and I am just so intrigued by her dedication to her work. She works for the Village Voice and she's written for the New York Times Magazine and other distinguished publications. The book is called Life on the Outside--it tells the story of Elaine Bartlett, who served 16 years for a first-time offense under the stifling Rockefeller drug laws. It's an interesting read, and I can't imagine the amount of research that went into it. I am in awe.

No comments: